Need one-on-one assistance from a librarian? The Book-a-Librarian service is an opportunity for Garland residents with Nicholson Memorial Library System cards to receive individual, focused assistance from a professional librarian in a scheduled 30-minute appointment. This service is only available at Central Library, 625 Austin St.
Who is eligible to make an appointment?
This service is open to Garland residents with a Nicholson Memorial Library System card in good standing.
Topics Librarians can help with:
- Library orientation including a tour & website/catalog overview
- Basics of using a computer (Windows)
- Essentials of Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint
- Getting an email address
- Using email more effectively (i.e. attachments, folders, etc)
- Using the Library’s online research tools & databases
- Using Libby to acquire e-books and e-audiobooks on your device
- Online job search
- Introduction to Facebook
- Introduction to Twitter
- Basics of using a mobile device or tablet
- Using in-house library technology (document scanner, microfilm reader/scanner, copiers)
- Finding your next great read
Things Librarians are NOT able to help with:
- Librarians are here to guide you to resources and provide some instruction, but we cannot do the research or complete the project for you.
- Advise or direct you regarding medical, legal, or financial decisions. We can refer you to reputable sources of information.
- Provide technical support for personal electronic devices (i.e. hardware/software installation or setup, data recovery, virus/malware removal, security settings, etc). We can provide troubleshooting for library resources.
- Provide specialized training in software. We recommend using Universal Class for in-depth training.
- Type or proofread documents
- Tutor or provide academic instruction. We recommend using Brainfuse Help Now! for tutoring services.
Making an Appointment
Each appointment can last up to 30 minutes. Additional appointments can be requested with a maximum of two appointments per calendar month.
To make an appointment, complete the online Book A Librarian Appointment Request Form, select the topic for which assistance is needed, and the date/time that is preferred.
Book A Librarian appointment requests must be made at least 4 business days in advance of the preferred appointment date.
A librarian will contact the requester to schedule and confirm the appointment. Appointments are subject to librarian availability, especially as it relates to scheduling and matching you with the librarian who best fits your needs.